Oh, trust me, we've also done plenty to offend the Scots (see: "Roundabouts"). The Scots do not like you driving on their roads, end of story.
As for offending the English, well just this morning it happened as we were walking into the city centre and I noticed an absolutely gorgeous Bentley in pristine condition. As I fished out my phone to get a picture of it, a very annoyed lady came galloping towards us from the back garden of her house, apparently thinking we were about to steal the car or try to have sex with it or something (I admit the latter conjecture was not too far a stretch given my reaction). Mind you we were not touching it at all, simply admiring it from the public pavement as it stood parked in a public street, but Annabel's assurances cut no ice, and we were hastily sent along on our way.
The Scots do not like you Boston drivers driving on their roads, end of story.
BBC Radio York also thought we must be casing the joint, from the way that fellow popped out the door. I guess they're not used to tourists photographing it... I half expected him to shoo us away towards the Minster or something.
Hey, I think I mentioned this to bellabelball, but if you folks have a chance, you might see about visiting weegoddess up in Durham. (I don't know if you actually knew her when she was in Boston; she and her husband are temporarily exiled in the UK.) Drop me a line at my lj username at thsi dot org if you want me to ping her about it.
This is so brilliant I can't even put it into proper words. Of course the "discovering new and exciting ways..." one is my favorite. Can Khiem and I tag along with you and your wife on your next trip? Cause it sounds like you had a blast. :)
lol
Date: 2009-08-17 10:31 pm (UTC)Re: lol
Date: 2009-08-17 11:52 pm (UTC)As for offending the English, well just this morning it happened as we were walking into the city centre and I noticed an absolutely gorgeous Bentley in pristine condition. As I fished out my phone to get a picture of it, a very annoyed lady came galloping towards us from the back garden of her house, apparently thinking we were about to steal the car or try to have sex with it or something (I admit the latter conjecture was not too far a stretch given my reaction). Mind you we were not touching it at all, simply admiring it from the public pavement as it stood parked in a public street, but Annabel's assurances cut no ice, and we were hastily sent along on our way.
Re: lol
Date: 2009-08-18 05:51 am (UTC)youBoston drivers driving on their roads, end of story.BBC Radio York also thought we must be casing the joint, from the way that fellow popped out the door. I guess they're not used to tourists photographing it... I half expected him to shoo us away towards the Minster or something.
Re: lol
Date: 2009-08-18 09:02 am (UTC)And a US-sounding accent is double worse!
Re: lol
Date: 2009-08-18 04:44 pm (UTC)Constant fear of chav attack has probably left them with the reflexes of vampires.
The middle classes can be such uptight buggers. Unfortunately that's also what makes them such good rolls.
no subject
Date: 2009-08-17 11:47 pm (UTC)no subject
Date: 2009-08-18 04:02 am (UTC)How we have spent our holiday so far
Date: 2009-08-18 08:01 am (UTC)no subject
Date: 2009-08-18 09:02 am (UTC)So I assume you've also topped up with the usual tat they flog to tourists? Union flags, commemorative mugs, novelty condoms etc?
How we have spent our holiday so far
Date: 2009-08-19 08:16 am (UTC)no subject
Date: 2009-08-18 12:17 pm (UTC)Hey, I think I mentioned this to
no subject
Date: 2009-08-18 01:31 pm (UTC)How we have spent our holiday so far
Date: 2009-08-19 08:19 am (UTC)For next year, we're thinking about Prague as a destination.
no subject
Date: 2009-08-18 09:11 pm (UTC)